Friday, July 2, 2010

Temple

I have always been short. I have always been "muscular". And I have always had horrible self-control when it comes to food! I love everything that is horrible for me. Pizza, chips, sugar, soda... But I have always hated what is good for me. Veggies and fruit. All the things I need to maintain a healthy and long life, I skip over for foods or drinks that will do more harm than good. I have also always tried to change that. I have horrible self-confidence. I am the first person to say how fat or ugly I am. I have tired diets. I have tried exercising but I just don't stick to them.

I realized something tonight though. I was sitting in the shower wallowing in self-pitty and it struck me. I finally realized that my body is a temple. My body has always been short and muscular because that is the way God created me. The Lord looks at me and loves me. But, as much He loves me and created me just the way I am, I am His temple. Have you ever given something to your kids, or a friend or something and watched them tear it up? Do you remember how frustrated you were? I think God looks at us the same way. He gave us these bodies so He can have glory. We are to do His work with our bodies that He gave us. If we are not eating the good that the Lord has made to help our bodies, we are not going to function to our full potential. If we are not exercising the way we should, we are going to be to tired to function to our full potential.

But most importantly. I want to bring glory to the Lord, and taking care of the body he gave me. And not only will taking care of my body bring him glory but so will being happy with the body he gave me. I am not longer 13 so I can not expect the body I used to have. I have carried a child that was twice my size when I was born, there is no going back from that...

My encouragment to you tonight is that you try to view yourself as God views you. As His perfect creation and as a temple used for His Glory that we are charged to take care of! So if you want to lose weight, know that if you do it for God's glory. If you are happy with the way you look, give thanks to the Lord. But most of all, be happy with what the Lord has blessed you with, not matter what it looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment