Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Are you willing?

I wonder if anyone else finds it interesting that I have a test to study for and all of the sudden I have the urge to write a blog?

Procrastination?  Probably.

Avoidance? Defiantly!!

You see just four weeks ago I bombed a test in this class.  If I do not maintain a certain test grade from here on out, I will be out of the program... :(  I should probably be studying...

But I have had something on my heart lately.

I am not sure how many of you know about bipolar.  I actually just learned about it in this class that I am probably going to fail :(.  But what I did learn, and how it applies to some people I know, astounds me.

Did you know that it is highly unlikely for a person to be diagnosed with bipolar?  In fact, only about 3.9% of people will be diagnosed with bipolar, with most of those cases starting at age 18 & up.  It is even more unlikely for a teen to be diagnosed.  EVEN MORE UNLIKELY FOR A 10 YEAR OLD TO BE DIAGNOSED.    I know a woman who was diagnosed and two of her children.  One just 14 when diagnosed and the other just 10!

What does this tell you?

Well it hints at a strong genetic tie, but it also tells me that this family needs Jesus.  Not that bipolar is not a legitimate diagnosis, but that there is a strong genetic AND environmental impact on this illness.  People who are continually in a stressful environment are more likely to develop bipolar.  Please do not misunderstand me, being a Christian does NOT remove all stress.  But it adds a hope that was not there before.  It adds a Helper that we were not aware of before.  If you read the verse at the top of this blog it will give you a good example of what Christians have that those who do not know Christ can not obtain... YET.

I want those who read this blog to leave with two things.

1)  I have been complaining a lot lately about how hard my life is.  I am sure most of us have times like this.  We think that we are given a really tough load.  Through it all we lose sight of the Hope we have in Christ and the Guy who took our burdens from us.  We have eternity with a joy that can not be surpassed, a hope that is never ending, and a love that is beyond fulfilling.   What is a couple weeks of misery when we have that to look forward to?  I know so many people who are going through so much more and take it like a champ while oblivious to the Hell that waits after.  If only they knew what TRUE hope is.  If only they knew what REAL joy is.  If only we are able to get over our own temporary hardships to show them what Christ has waiting for them.

2)  Notice the YET?  These people that I know with this disorder have hurt us beyond what we think we can handle.  But what if our forgiveness is the one thing that will show them Christ's love?  What if that person you see screwing up everyday just needs some one to show them who Christ is?  We are not the judge of people.  We have no power over that person's eternity.  We have no right to sit here and say that that person does not deserve a relationship with me because they sinned to much.  It only took ONE sin to send Jesus to the Cross.  Who are you to say that some one's one sin is worse than your many sins?  Who am I to say I can not forgive a person when Jesus forgave all?  Who are we other than God's workmanship sent here to do His good work?

We have this gift.  A gift of Hope, Joy and Love that only grows the more it is shared.  Jesus said behold I stand that the door and knock.  Probably most of you answered that door.  Now it is our job to step out or our opened door and be the hands of feet of Jesus.  Who knows, maybe your voice, action, and/or forgiveness will be the sound of Jesus' knocking on someone else's' door...

Are you willing to find out?

1 comment:

  1. Kristy,

    Thanks for your thoughts, they have given me something to think about. I just finished reading a book called "Hope for Your Heart" by June Hunt and found it very useful, not technical at all in regards to counseling, but just affirming as to the Hope we have in Christ.

    Now, with that said, go back to studying for your test :)

    ReplyDelete