Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Limitless Faith

Usually it is a song I hear at the right place at the right time.  But yesterday at work, it was the TV that caught my attention.  I have been wrestling with the idea of faith a lot lately.  Mainly it is the verse that talks about faith the size of a mustard seed.  What exactly does that look like?  And how does that look in my life?  The sentence I heard did not answer my question but it gave me some steps in the right direction.

The sentence is as follows:  The key to limitless faith is to eliminate the limits. 

I know it sounds so simple and self explanatory but just hearing those words helped me simplify my thinking.  I tend to over think things and make things waaayyyy to complicated.  In order to know what faith looks like in my life I need to obtain that.  And in order to obtain that I need to eliminate the things that are preventing it.  And, in order to eliminate those obstacles I need to first identify those obstacles.   So here they are...

My first obstacle is my desire to be loved/liked by everyone.  My last blog was about my greatest fear of being unloved and unlovable.  Though my desire to be loved is not wrong or off base, the idea that everyone could, should, and would is.  The Bible makes it clear that to be lovers of Christ is to make enemies of the world.  If my faith in who Christ is is so evident then my life and me as a person is going to make enemies.  So me living a life that will make me loved by everyone is inhibiting the growth of my faith.

My second obstacle is my desire to be in control.  If I truly lived by faith, I would have faith that His plan is greater than anything I could make for myself.  I had this idea of what I thought my life would be and that went down in a not so glorious blaze.  So then I spent my time coming up with other life plans.  Those so far are just figments of my imagination.  He loves me and knows my desires, but more importantly His plans will work for my good.


My third obstacle is that I don't ask for it.  When Jesus says in Mathew 7:7 "ask and you shall receive", He is not talking about asking for silly things like getting out of a speeding ticket, after all I prob deserved it :-/ (don't judge lol). He wants us to ask and search for thing that make us like Him or bring us closer to Him.   He wants me to place my faith in Him and the plans He has for me, if only I would ask for it.

I am sure that I will discover more limits as I continue this journey, but they won't be limits for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment