Monday, February 16, 2015

He already knows

In school we learned about therapeutic communication.  I learned how to listen to people, validate their feelings, blah blah, blah blah... I know that sometimes the best thing you can say to a person is "yea this really does suck".  Though I know that saying that is meaning that are two totally different things.  I can say that, while thinking to myself "really??? You are worried about THAT".  

I think I feel this way because my thought process is often circulating on one of two things.  First one being there are a lot worse situations.  And second, whatever you are going through is only temporary.  So I often discredit or devalue what that person is feeling even if they never know that I am doing it.  

But even if there are worse situations and even if it is only temporary, the pain, confusion, or whatever they may be feeling is still very real and very valid for whomever I may be talking to.  With that being said, I don't think some things are worth the worry but I do think everyone has a right to their emotions.  

I was reading in Hebrews 2 and it said something about how Jesus was lower than Angels for a bit so that he could taste death so that we didn't have to.  So first I want to address my first thought process.  Jesus suffered the worst fate possible to give us the Hope we have today.  Furthermore, He knows us intimately.  So whatever person I am silently berating for what I see as silly little concerns, Jesus is probably waiting for me to guide them towards Him so that He can comfort them.  

Secondly, even Jesus knew his suffering was only temporary. He knew that he would rise again in glory, but even with that knowledge he was distressed.  Distressed is not even the word to describe it. How do you describe what he was feeling when the Bible tells you he was sweating blood?  BLOOD. Not just perspiring, not just wetting the T-shirt under the arms kind of emotions, but literally sweating blood.  I do not think I have ever experienced any emotion that strong and I have had a lot of emotions.  So once again no matter how fleeting the situation is of the person who is wasting my valuable time is, it is still valuable time I could be spending telling them about Jesus's temporary 
situation for our eternal salvation.  

It is kind of like that song says "He knows".  He knows what suffering is and feels like.  He knows what I am suffering and feeling.  He knows what you have are and will be going through.  And more importantly He knows how to minister to each unique person.  Which is why I need to stop devaluing and start directing.  Directing to the One who knows, who loves, and who wants to be the Rock on which we stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment